Open Work Permit Lawyers in North York Providing Legal Guidance and Resources to Immigrant Workers
Those who live and work in Canada can enjoy the numerous benefits that the country has to offer. Canada has world-class free healthcare, great schools, high quality of living, low crime rates, and affordable housing. However, foreign workers must first obtain a proper work permit before working in Canada. There are many business immigration options available. Among the most flexible are open work permits.
Loft Immigration Services Inc has a skilled legal team for immigrant workers looking to move to North York for business and a better quality of life. The immigration process can be complex and difficult to navigate without experienced legal help. As your legal representatives, our role is to save you time and money while providing you peace of mind. You can feel confident that, with Legal consultants in North York for work permit applications in your corner, you have a strong chance of achieving your goals and immigrating to North York with the opportunity of employment.
Do Open Work Permits Have Any Benefits Over Closed Work Permits?
Unlike employer-specific or closed work permits, open work permits do not restrict immigrant workers to a certain specified employer or job position. In fact, holders of open work permits are allowed to seek job opportunities in most industries and openings across the country. Additionally, open work permits do not require foreign workers to go through a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which seeks to determine whether the foreign worker will positively or negatively impact the Canadian economy and resident workforce. By bypassing the LMIA, hopeful immigrants have a shortened, easier immigration process as they seek employment in the country.
While employer-specific work permits are only for one employer and job opening, open work permits allow foreign workers to move from one Canadian employer to another for as long as the open work permit is valid. This grants the immigrant worker more agency during their stay in the country.
What Are the Different Types of Open Work Permits?
There are three primary types of open work permits. The type you qualify for may depend upon your work history or the decision of the Canadian Consulate.
The most common types of work permits include:
- Restricted work permits which allow foreign workers to change their employer but not the territory or province in which they work.
- Restricted work permits which allow foreign workers to change their employers but not their occupations.
- Unrestricted work permits which allow foreign workers to change employers, occupations, and locations where they are allowed to work.
Who Can Apply for an Open Work Permit?
Sadly, not every foreign worker looking to come to North York for future employment qualifies for an open work permit. That said, workers and professionals in several industries may qualify to apply for open work permits.
Those who may be eligible for open work permits include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Applicants for permanent residence in Canada.
- Family members of those with Canadian permanent residence, including spouses and common-law partners.
- Recent graduates who are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP).
- Refugees, asylum seekers, and protected persons.
- Students who cannot afford the financial burden of their studies.
- The spouse or common-law partner of international students or skilled workers staying in Canada.
- Those with temporary resident permits.
- Victims fleeing abuse or the threat of violence.
- Workers aged 35 years or younger enrolled in the Working Holiday program.
To ensure you qualify to apply, please consult our experienced immigration lawyers for legal guidance.
What Are Canada’s Eligibility Requirements for Open Work Permits?
Whether or not an individual is approved for an open work permit depends upon their work experience, the decision of the Canadian Consulate, and the individual’s general background. In general, however, several factors may help determine an applicant’s eligibility.
Common eligibility requirements include:
- Applicants must be in good health. In some circumstances, a medical exam will be ordered.
- Applicants must have a clean criminal record and vow to obey Canada’s laws. In some circumstances, applicants may be asked to supply a certificate from the police to prove that they have no record of criminal activity.
- Applicants must prove that they have adequate finances to support themselves and their dependents during their time in Canada. If the applicant is deemed to be a danger to Canada or its people, their application will be denied.
- Permanent resident applicants residing in Canada have an advantage in obtaining open work permits, as Canada understands that they will be long-term contributors to the economy, workforce, and culture.
- The spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may receive open work permits if sponsored. Canada has programs that allow spouses and common-law partners to obtain an open work permit while their Inland Sponsorship application is being processed so that they may support their financial needs.
- You must confirm to the immigration officers that you will leave Canada if and when your work permit expires.
Contact Loft Immigration Services Inc to Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Immigration Lawyers
If you would like to apply for an open work permit, our immigration lawyers would gladly assist you. This process can be time-consuming and confusing, with many eligibility requirements to cross off. With our legal knowledge, we are confident that we can help guide you through the immigration system in pursuit of your goals.
Loft Immigration Services Inc goes above and beyond for its clients. Our impressive track record of success speaks for itself, but our past clients echo the sentiments with glowing reviews. Canada is a country with top-notch healthcare, education, housing, and job opportunities. For a chance to tap into those opportunities for yourself, you’ll need to acquire a work permit. Let us help you with that.
To schedule your free consultation, call us at 647-495-3724.