By: Loft Immigration Services Inc


If you currently work for a company with a branch, affiliate, subsidiary or parent company in Canada, you can secure a Canadian work permit by the Intra-Company Transfer category. It is under the International Mobility Program. Employers bringing international crew through the intra-company transfer work permit are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirement. In this manner, the procedure is faster, simpler and more practical than the LMIA course. Eligible intra-company transferees support economic benefit to Canada by transfer of expertise and skills to the labour market of Canada. The good news also is employees can be from anywhere around the world.

Intra-Company Transfer Categories

To be qualified to work in Canada through the Intra-Company Transfer stream, foreign employees should be under one of the three categories below:

  • Executives – as in this position, you directly manage the company or a major element of the firm. An example would be comprehensive operations or financial management. You may receive general supervision from higher-level executives if there are any.
  • Senior Managers – you manage all or part of the company managers. You have supervision or control of the work of other professional employees.
  • Employees with specialized knowledge – specialized knowledge mean an advanced level of expertise of the company’s product or service. This includes the process and procedures as well.

Generally and for all categories stated above, workers should have at least one year of full-time job experience with the foreign branch. A solid or qualifying relationship between the employer and employee must be demonstrated to obtain an intra-company transfer work permit.

How long is the Intra-Company Transfer work permit valid?

By the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) guidelines, initial work permits granted under the Intra-company transfer stream are for a one-year duration. In most cases, these work permits may be renewed but should imply significant evidence of the renewal. You must convince that the Canadian and foreign companies still have a certified relationship. You should also depict that the new office engaged in the continuous provision of goods or services for the past year and appropriately staffed.

Can I apply for permanent residency with the Intra-Company work permit?

An astounding yes! Intra-company transferees are usually in a distinct stance to become Canadian permanent residents if they wish to do so. As permanent residents, they can work and reside anywhere in Canada they want.

When the Express Entry immigration program launched in 2015, it became the main persuader of economic immigration to Canada. In November 2016, Intra-company transferees looked for a transition to permanent residence. Immigration numbers hit a major increase since IRCC amended the Express Entry stream to accommodate intra-company transferees to obtain Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points without the issuance of an LMIA. This significant change made it easier for intra-company transferees to increase their CRS score, compelling them to higher chances of having an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence. Other than the Express Entry system, transitioning to permanent residency can also be with Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) or many different immigration streams.

As a licensed immigration consultant of Canada, we can help introduce immigration programs other than the Intra-Company Transfer work permit. Loft Immigration Services Inc can show you further options on your pathway to Canada. Our distinct experience in immigration recognized by Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) can help you complete the required formalities.

You may fill out our free evaluation form or you may call us at +1 (416) 492-1222.

Related Articles