Immigration Precision
Can Help You Achieve
Your Canadian Dream

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Toronto Family Immigration Lawyers Guiding Clients Through the Family Sponsorship Process

For many people, living in Canada is a privilege that can only be made better by having more family around. Fortunately, Canadian immigration law recognizes the importance of being close to relatives, which is why family sponsorship is an option for citizens and permanent residents who meet certain criteria.

Whether you plan to sponsor an immediate relative to immigrate to this country or need help getting sponsored by a Canadian family member, we can assist you. At Loft Immigration Services Inc, our caring lawyers are passionate about helping Canadians reunite with family whenever possible, so we encourage you to contact our Toronto law firm to get started on your case.

Which Relatives Qualify for Family Sponsorship?

If you’re a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor one or more relatives who want to immigrate to be closer to you. As long as you and your family members are eligible for family sponsorship, they will be granted a permanent resident visa at the conclusion of the immigration process.

In most cases, the family sponsorship program makes it possible for you to bring the following family members to live with you in Canada:

  • Spouses
  • Common-law partners
  • Children under the age of 22, whether biological or adopted
  • Parents
  • Grandparents

You may also be able to sponsor extended family if certain qualifications are met. For example, if you have a relative who is under age 18 and dependent on you, or if you do not have any other immediate relatives, you may be able to sponsor:

  • Nieces and nephews
  • Aunts and uncles
  • Grandchildren
  • Adult children

If you’re unsure which family members you can sponsor for permanent residency in Canada, you should contact trusted Toronto family immigration lawyers. When you schedule a free consultation at Loft Immigration Services Inc, our lawyers will look at the details of your case to determine which of your relatives can immigrate to Canada through family sponsorship.

Who Can Sponsor Family Members for Permanent Residency?

As you look into your immigration options, you should first ensure you qualify to help family members immigrate to Canada. To start, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old.

You must also have a clean criminal record, as you cannot sponsor family from jail or prison. Certain criminal convictions on your record could prohibit you from sponsoring family members, especially violent or sexual violations.

Finally, you must show that you can take financial responsibility for the family member who immigrates to Canada so they will not need to sign up for social assistance upon arrival. This means you’re unlikely to be eligible to sponsor someone if you’ve defaulted on an immigration loan, plan to declare bankruptcy, or receive social assistance for anything other than a disability.

If you’re unsure if you meet these qualifications or need help proving that you do, call our Toronto law office for legal advice. Our lawyers understand how important it is to have family members nearby, especially if they’re unsafe or unhappy in the country they currently live in. Contact us to talk to a caring family immigration lawyer about safely getting your child, parent, grandparent, sibling, or other loved ones to Canada.

What Are the Steps of the Family-Based Immigration Process in Canada?

If you’re ready to help a family member immigrate, your first step should be to contact a family immigration law firm for guidance through this process. The next steps may vary depending on whether you’re sponsoring your spouse and minor children or your married sons and daughters and in-laws.

Your lawyer will provide you with the legal paperwork to fill out based on your specific situation. But in most cases, the process begins when you complete a sponsorship application that confirms you’re eligible to bring a family member to Canada. Once the court approves this and you pass a criminal background check, the next step is for your family member to submit an application for permanent residency.

At that point, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will examine the application to ensure your relative qualifies. They will likely have to pass a medical exam and background check. You will also need to sign an agreement stating that you can pay for your relative’s basic needs, including food, shelter, clothes, and health care. Depending on your relationship to your family member, this agreement could last anywhere from three to 20 years, so be prepared to financially support them for as long as necessary.

How Can Toronto Family Immigration Lawyers Help You?

Canada offers several pathways to immigration for people who are in search of a better life in this country. Whether you’re a U.S. citizen looking for a more stable economic situation, a refugee seeking safety, or a Canadian citizen helping family members immigrate, Canada has immigration options for you.

If you need help determining the right immigration solution or have questions about eligibility, you should talk to experienced family immigration lawyers as soon as possible. At Loft Immigration Services Inc, our legal team has spent over 12 years leading clients toward their immigration goals. Our full-service firm regularly assists business owners, skilled professionals, international students, and families with their immigration needs as they consider moving to Canada.

Whether you have questions about express entry, study permits, open work permits, family sponsorship, or other popular immigration options, we’re happy to provide answers. We offer our clients free consultations, flat fees, and personalized legal services. You deserve to get accurate answers to your legal questions so you have peace of mind as you begin your immigration journey. If you’re ready to talk to skilled family immigration lawyers, call our Toronto law firm at 647-495-3724 to schedule your free initial consultation.